Restoring Tools

Guest Post: Rob Nickles 

Restoring tools is something important to any homesteader, but as the husband of a Gothic Homesteader, and being a Cowboy Mountain Man my self, with Steampunk Goth twinges, it has kinda become a passion.  When I hunt for tools, be it on Etsy, Ebay, or at local stores and flea markets, one of the key things I look for is usability.   Yes, alot of modern tools are great, but doing things by hand and having that connection with my work is even better.

Once I have found my tools, I take pictures as I take them apart so I know how they will go back together.  Then with a wire brush I clean them with 1/2 boiled linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine mixed, and grease them with hi-temp grease.  Then once they are clean (or as clean as an old tool can get), I put them back together.


Thus far, I have returned 3 tools to working condition, and made one display piece look sharp for the Blacksmith shop.  I would advise it to any homesteader, as you get to know your tools in depth.

~ Rob Nickles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Thanksgiving

First Lady of Gothic Gardening: Morticia Addams

What is a Gothic Homesteader?